BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 3, 2014

Sweet is the Work

Hey You Guys!!
Guess what? Its transfer week. And Guess What Else? I am staying here in the Queenstown area of the South Africa Cape Town Mission. I am happy to be here but I hope that sometime soon I will be able to go up to my original mission. I love this mission and the Elders here but I don't feel like it is meant to be home. I have a little bit of a feeling like I need to be somewhere else. But that is probably just me thinking, because the Lord has kept me here. So I will put my shoulder to the wheel. Which is kinda good because we have some baptisms coming up. One investigator for sure has a date and there are a couple who are willing to follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized. It really will be a good transfer.
I am so happy about your experience with the temple dedication and the cultural celebration. I loved hearing everyone's stories. And to see everyone's testimonies grow. I am sad I missed it, but I am happy to be here.
I am still here in the Queenstown ward. The Bishop really is a great man. I enjoy talking to him. His son just got back from a mission to JoBurg, I really enjoy spending time with their family. In fact we are going to have an FHE over at their house on Wednesday (with the new elders who will be coming into the ward). The Ward Members are very accepting. I love shaking everyones hand each Sunday before church.
I love it here. Pres. and Sister Woods are great. They come from Alaska and will be released in June. They have been a great part of this mission. And they live in the Mission Home which is in CapeTown Which is about 17 hours away if you drive. Our Boarders are not as big as my original mission but are still quite big. You have to take a plane to get about anywhere. And if a plane doesn't work then you have to drive for a couple of hours. Namibia used to be in our boundaries but is now no longer like that. 
 
The temple is a two hour drive then a 5-7 hour flight away. So it takes a lot of saving and commitment. One brother here has plans to go the the temple in August. So I think that for most of the members it is on their own and when they have saved enough.
We have many people who are willing to let us in and teach them. But most of the time it is out of courtesy. One of the craziest situations we are finding come from those devoted to their church, but still want us to come and talk with them. They like to hear the things we say but they are not willing to leave their old ways.  Commitments are a big thing down here, when they keep them it is powerful. For example Odwa, our one with the Baptismal Date. The missionaries (before I was here) gave here the Plan of Salvation Pamphlet. She read it all and when they returned, she practically taught them. She has a strong growing testimony. I am so happy for the 16th. Ultimately commitments are a hit and miss here. But I pray for everyone we teach, because there is so much potential in each one.
Another trouble is distance from the Chapel. Most don't come to church because they live too far and they don't have a car. There are a few that hire people to take them. But for a majority many don't come. So lots of less actives. One thing I think of is if enough people in my area return to activity and invite their friends and their friends are baptized... then they will have facilities of their own within the area. They just have to be willing to do something about it. I know that if they put forth their faith and trust, the Lord will provide a way. 1 Nephi 3:7 says that.
I am grateful for your emails. I love being in an area where I can take a little bit of time to give you semi good reports. Oh yeah...We hiked a mountain called HangKlip here in Queenstown. Hopefully I can get you some pictures soon. I think I have a chance at some WiFi sometime soon. It was fun. Kinda reminds me a little bit of a very grassy Flatiron. Good Hike. I just about had to deal with a tick, but due to my prayers it just disappeared. After I noticed it we were very close to the cars, and to the end, so I just waited until the end. And When we got there...it was gone. Pray works! Besides that adrenaline rush it was a great hike. 
My week was pretty good. I give a thank you to Stuart for the Atonement FHE he mentioned a while ago. This week I got to do it. We got some sweets (candy) and offered it to everyone who came to the FHE. And then if they said yes I would do 10 push-ups. If they said no i would still do 10 Push-ups. Then we as a group of about 8 Elders shared our testimonies and thoughts around this and Alma 7:11-12 and D&C 19:15-19. My testimony grew a lot as I was able to experience this. The pain lasted for about 2-3 days. I could barely move my arms. But I was able to build a stronger testimony of the Savior. Because did I mention that we had 12 people there?
Oh yeah Bry...Learn how to cook. Learn how to shop. and Be confident with both. Keep it simple and rather quick but know how to do it. It will bless your mission life. And Mom. Thanks again for you example in both. Last night I tried to make hamburgers. A little burnt but not too bad. I have been hesitant at trying such things but I think I will be okay. I for sure love having Dinner Appointments :)
I am slowly feeling a difference but I still have my little challenges that fill my prayers. But one thing I know is that as I "forget myself and get to work" it will turn out okay. I need to remember that I am not on my mission. I have the honor of serving this mission for the Lord.
The language is only starting to click ... that was very clever mom :) I have problems with my clicks but everyone knows that I have a hard time, so most put up with my American accent and lack of Xhosa.
I love you guys so very much. You have been on my mind a lot lately with the wonderful events happening for you. But one thing that keeps me going is the fact that hopefully one day similar things will happen in this area. And there is a definition of a missionary as "one who leaves his family for two years, so that others can be with theirs for Eternity." Oh how wonderful is the work!
I love you all. I hope you have a great week.
Love very much
Elder Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment